Amanda Luedeke is a literary agent with MacGregor Literary. Every Thursday, she posts about growing your author platform. You can follow her on Twitter @amandaluedeke or join her Facebook group to stay current with her wheelings and dealings as an agent. Her author marketing book, The Extroverted Writer, is available from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
So last week I bemoaned my book sales and chalked it up to my overall lack of marketing enthusiasm this summer. To get myself out of the rut, I decided to make a list of five thing that I was going to accomplish to market my book over the next week. I then invited YOU to join in.
5 marketing ideas. 1 week to get them done.
Ten or so of you took me up on the challenge. HOW DID YOU DO? I’m asking you, Diana, Edward, Melissa, Raj, Robin, Chelsea, Rachel, and Saloma? And anyone else out there who played along maybe a bit more unofficially??? Let me know how your week went!
Here are my results…
5 MARKETING TASKS FOR THE EXTROVERTED WRITER
1. Find a blog that I’ve never appeared on before and approach them about doing a post. Done…we’ll see if they take me up on the offer.
2. Follow up on that article that I wrote for that one online magazine and push them to run it. Done…they’re choosing not to run it 🙁 WAAHHHH!!!
3. Think up an event/party/contest that I can do on social media in the next few weeks. Ugh, will need more time with this. Just can’t think of anything that will be super worthwhile for writers but also doable on my end.
4. Send a newsletter out to all those people who first signed up to be notified when the book released. Let them know it’s now in print. Done!!
5. Find two writer-related blogs and leave comments. Done and done…so easy.
Want to know the crazy thing?? I accomplished three of these tasks yesterday afternoon…and it only took me about 30-45 minutes. I had put them off ALL WEEK because I was convinced they would take lots of time.
But here’s the truth about marketing: IT NEVER TAKES AS MUCH TIME AS YOU’RE EXPECTING IT TO TAKE.
And when you break your goals down into five simple action steps, things get even easier to accomplish!
So, I’m going to do it again. Another round!
5 MORE Marketing tasks for The Extroverted Writer
1. Comment on five blogs (oh yeah…you heard me! I’m upping my game).
2. Look into a Goodreads giveaway (and set one up if possible).
3. BUY MY WEB DOMAIN!! Time to stop relying on the agency site as my main hub…gonna get my own space.
4. Find 2 writer blogs and see about guest posts.
5. Post something on my Agent FB page EVERY DAY.
YOUR TURN! How did this week go? Are you willing to go for a round 2??